Have you ever tried to win the favor of a jerk?
Wow, man! Why would I want to win the favor of a jerk in the first place?! — you ask justifiably.
Well, there are some people. You may conclude that s/he is a real douchebag. S/he talks like a douchebag, acts like a douchebag. But it’s just a mask. It’s a shield those people hide their vulnerable personality under. That’s what I mean. These kind of jerks.
So you act benevolently toward them. You sincerely want to be a friend of the person.
But that person stays jerk. Your hopes to make friends are crushed.
You know why? Because jerks are jerks. And the assumption that this guy is just a miserable human being, who was not loved enough by his parents during his childhood, is wrong. lol.
Well, I know a guy. He’s a piece of shit. He’s made of so top-quality shit, that I merely cannot believe it.
As a fool, I was trying to be his friend for quite a long time, hoping to crack his shell, under which I saw that insecure boy.
But the boy was not there. The boy did not exist. There was just more shit under the hood.
Lately I watched ‘Adventure Time with Finn And Jake’ cartoon series and my attention was attracted by the episode called ‘Freak City’. In a nutshell, main heroes encounter a wizard. The wizard asks them if they have any food. They give him a sugar cube, and the former turns one of the heroes in the big foot.
In the end of the episode, they meet again, and the hero concludes that it was his fault of being turned into the foot: he shared a sugar cube awating some reward. They have the following conversation (irrelevant parts are omitted):
- Finn: Oh. You were trying to teach us to be kind without expecting anything return. I should’ve given you that sugar cube without even thinking about a reward.
- Magic Man: Wrong! <…>
- Finn: I wish I’d never been nice to you ’cause you’re just a big jerk!
- Magic Man: Oh, yes, that’s it! You’ve finally learned your lesson. [Zaps them with magic that returns them back to normal] And now I’m off spread my teachings to more sissy do-gooders. <…>
- Finn: <…> Wait, so, what was the lesson we just learned?
- Jake: [shrugs] Maybe it was, don’t give your sugar to jerks.
- Don’t be kind with douchebags, because they will stay douchebags no matter what you do. You will just waste your time and will get nothing but disappointment in return.
- Picture of Adventure Time episode and transcripts by adventuretime.wikia.com